Was this the way life's meant to be.

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Was this the way life's meant to be.

Postby Frankly » 23 Jul 2012, 10:10

I lived in King's Lynn from 1973 to 1976 and at this time there was an evident lack of a music scene. The New Inn on Wooton Road sometimes had a folk evening and The Corn Exchange had occassional low key concerts. A pretty good group played in Tiffany's but attracted no interest from the Disco lovers. This three piece played to empty floors but when the DJ came on ( I think he was called Tiny K ) all the dance experts started strutting their stuff. I cannot recall the name of the group but they were good musicians and had very close harmonies.
Frankly

Re: Was this the way life's meant to be.

Postby novasinistra » 23 Jul 2012, 17:17

That's a shame.
I saw a few bands at Hunstanton Youth Centre and elsewhere in the 60's.
One I recall was "Granny's Attic". They were pretty good.
novasinistra

Postby EWW » 23 Jul 2012, 19:10

You only have to look through the other threads in this section of local music
in the 60s and 70s to see that there was many venues and a great number of
good local bands around at that time. :music :smt086
I do not want thanks for any research I am able to help out with. I just love doing it.
EWW

Postby 8 boston square » 24 Jul 2012, 11:25

Times change and you missed the really good times of the 60's.
I can remember the Sunset Rooms in Hunstanton about 1963/64 in the summer they used to put local bands on in the week but crowds were not coming in so they put some money in the jukebox to get things going and saved hiring in live music, sad but financially the right thing to do. The next step was the disc jockey. The live bands were great and for me much better entertainment but as I said times change, society changes and its on going, things are not what they used to be eh?
8 boston square

Postby Frankly » 24 Jul 2012, 15:52

It look's like I missed out on ''The King's Lynn Music Scene'' by arriving in this great old town in the 1970's. The main band scene is definitely throughout the sixties and being a part time musician it is good to see a revival in present times. I will look up some gigs when I visit in September 2012. Thank you to all for your input on this subject and the music threads are really interesting. It was nice to read about ''Boz'' from King Crimson and Bad Company fame who unfortunately is no longer with us.
Frankly

Postby Picklesmagoo » 25 Jul 2012, 12:11

Anyone out there remember the band "Wildlife" from the seventies? I believe they went on to become "FM" in the eighties and were managed or connected in some way by Adam Faith who visited Lynn to watch them at the "Regis Rooms".
Picklesmagoo

Postby g4pei » 27 Jul 2012, 18:49

I certainly remember Wildlife who later morphed into FM. The main stays of Wildlife were the very talented Overland brothers, Chris and Steve. At one point they had Simon Kirke, formerly of Free on drums. FM went on to record several albums and support major acts on tour such as Tina Turner, Status Quo and Garry Moore to name but a few. FM are still active however minus Chris Overland who is now a full time guitar teacher.
g4pei

Return to Local Music Scene.