Gigging in the 60's, volume

Local live bands, dance outfits, gigs you saw? Blow your trumpet here.

Gigging in the 60's, volume

Postby tristanlong » 25 Apr 2011, 09:17

as you know I play drums in new kings lynn 60's British Invasion band the YESTERDAYS ( www.theyesterdays.com )
We are trying to be authentic with instruments, Ludwig drums, Hofner violin bass, Rickenbacker guitars, Vox amps etc, However our PA is a new DAS audio fitted with Bang and Olson amps etc, back in the days what did all of you use for PA as i have looked at vintage WEM colunm speakers for looks.
tristanlong

Re: Gigging in the 60's, volume

Postby rocker » 25 Apr 2011, 10:41

Hi Tristan, a lot of us used to make up our own PA systems, eg: two 12" speakers in homemade cabs, covered with material you could buy from the Exchange and Mart magazine. Also from the same mag you would buy the amp. Usually it was a Linear Concorde valve amp for something like £20. A popular 60's/70's PA was called an H&H I have one in my bedroom, it comes with two cabs both containing two twelves, quite powerfull for the year. Others were WEM's (Watkins electrical music) same company that made Watkins Rapiers and of course the Watkins tape echo chamber. I think another one was called a Carlsboro. Hope this helps mate. When you next see John Nockolds down East Coast, ask him, he might be able to add some more to the list.
rocker

Postby 8 boston square » 28 Apr 2011, 15:03

The Watkins echo unit was called a copycat as I recall, I remember buying one second hand off one of the Valiants. It had 4 tape heads, the unit I bought only had head 4 working, very difficult to play with it!
8 boston square

Postby rocker » 28 Apr 2011, 19:39

Yes it was a copycat and after awhile the heads would get dirty and the quality used to deteriorate. Also the tapes have been known to snap mid stream right in the middle of F b I disaster but looking back now would nt have missed it for the world. The other alternative was a unit called the Baby Binson much more sophicated than the Copycat but of course much nore expensive.
rocker

Postby Ted » 14 Jan 2016, 20:41

I had a Giloso amp (no idea if it's spelt like that). I got it from Portass and Carter . They came with some strange sockets so Nigel used to get them converted to 'jack' by an electrician who played in Upwell group the Torinos . Danny Ford used one for a long time first with a mike of the same make and then later a Shure mike. Yes many of us built our own speaker cabs . I had an 18" Goodmans bass speaker. I think the amps were about 25amp but that was loud at that time ! .
Ted

Postby 8 boston square » 17 Jan 2016, 12:16

I used to sell hifi in Oxford Street for about 20 years and a popular misconception is that watts means volume, it does not. Sound Volume is measured in decibels and no manufacturer gives this figure, WPC ( watts per channel ) is what is usually given with a distortion figure to go with this, watts are an indication of the quality of the amplifier and this figure can be manipulated if you adjust the distortion figure from say .001 to .010. People just want a big wattage and dont look at how its presented. We used to sell music systems with high wattage figures containing amp, speakers, cassette deck, radio and cd for sometimes £200 but we had some amps from Quad ( pre and power ) that would set you back around £800. Sometimes things are not what they seem and sometimes you get what you pay for.
I remember well Exchange and Mart and what you get from there and then there was the saturday papers with their adverts for "Scientific and Technical" based in Southend, amazing what you get buy and put together in what was a non technical age compared to today, who would build their own today?
8 boston square

Return to Local Music Scene.